Many people list climbing Mount Kilimanjaro as a lifelong dream adventure, so why not join us on our 2015 Lunar Eclipse Escorted Tour, and make your journey to the Roof of Africa even more spectacular!
A rare treat that only happens once or twice per year, a Lunar Eclipse is a truly amazing sight, and by elevating your viewing position to over 5,000 metres above sea level, you will feel so close that you can almost touch it!
Here’s an overview of our Kilimanjaro Lunar Eclipse Escorted Tour 2015:
A giant strata-volcano reaching an elevation of 5,895 metres or 19,335.6ft, it boasts not one, but five different eco-systems, and as you travel along the breathtakingly beautiful Machame Route, you will encounter an equatorial jungle, glacial valleys, and the alpine deserts that lead the way to Uhuru Peak.
This extended 9-day itinerary is a great ‘all-rounder’ in terms of value for money, length of trek, and most importantly perhaps – success rate, and as we work together with a fully registered KPAP (Kilimanjaro Porters Assistance Project) approved Tanzanian-climbing crew, you can be confident your trip is safe, secure, and supportive of the local community.
Equatours is a proud member / supporter of KPAP (Kilimanjaro Porters Assistance Project), ensuring that all porters receive a fair wage, adequate food, and suitable clothing during your climb.
- Day 1 Depart on your overnight flight to Kilimanjaro International Airport
- Day 2 Arusha – Planet Lodge
- Day 3 Machame Camp – Mount Kilimanjaro
- Day 4 Shira Camp – Mount Kilimanjaro
- Day 5 Barranco Camp – Mount Kilimanjaro
- Day 6 Karanga Camp – Mount Kilimanjaro
- Day 7 Barafu Camp – Mount Kilimanjaro – Midnight Summit Attempt
- Day 8 Summit – Return to Millennium or Mweka Camp – Mount Kilimanjaro
- Day 9 Arusha – Planet Lodge
- Day 10 Departure
Day 1 – Depart on your International Flight to Kilimanjaro Airport.
Day 2 – Arusha
Upon arrival at Kilimanjaro International Airport, our driver will be waiting to transfer us to our hotel in Arusha. After a few hours to rest, we will have an afternoon briefing with our Mountain Guide to discuss the following day’s departure time and itinerary. We will spend the rest of the day preparing our luggage and shopping for any last-minute items, before enjoying dinner at the hotel. Overnight: Arusha (D)
Day 3 – Machame Camp – Kilimanjaro – Hiking Time Approx. 6 hrs
After breakfast, our driver will meet us in reception and transfer us to the Machame Gate (approx. 2 hour drive) where we will complete the registration process and hand our luggage over to the crew. Our Kilimanjaro climb will then commence through the lush, verdant rainforests to Machame Camp. Along the way, we will see a variety of unusual flora and fauna, in addition to the colourful birdlife and monkeys. Lunch will be served on route by our team of chefs and porters, before continuing to base camp for the evening. Overnight: Camping Machame Camp (B, L, D)
Day 4 – Shira Camp – Kilimanjaro – Hiking Time Approx. 6 hrs
After a hot breakfast in the mess tent, we will refresh our daypacks with water,snacks and waterproof clothing before heading up the relatively steep Shira trail. Surrounded by an abundance of bird life and a savannah of tall grasses and heather, the Shira trail is a beautiful stretch that offers magnificent views of Uhuru peak on a clear day. As with day 2, the crew will serve a warm lunch on route to the base camp. Overnight: Camping Shira Camp (B, L, D)
Day 5 – Barranco Camp – Kilimanjaro – Hiking Time Approx. 7 hrs
Today is an important day for acclimatisation, and to limit the effects of altitude sickness we will climb high and sleep low. Ascending into the alpine desert, we will view the entire Shira plateau as we hike slowly but surely upwards to pass the Lava Tower at 15,000 feet, before descending down through the immense canyon of Grand Barranco to base camp. Our team will serve a warm lunch on route. Overnight: Camping Barranco Camp (B, L, D)
Day 6 – Karanga Camp – Kilimanjaro – Hiking Time Approx. 4 hrs
Today’s hike up and over the Barranco Wall may seem a little daunting, but after a warm breakfast you will be ready to attempt this imposing wall of rock. A relatively short day of hiking, the Barranco wall takes approximately 1 and half hours to mount, and the views from above are spectacular. With no further increase in elevation, we will trek through the glacial valleys towards Karanga Camp. Overnight: Camping Karanga Camp (B, L, D)
Day 7 – Barafu Camp – Kilimanjaro – Hiking Time Approx. 4 hours
Day 7 is another important day for acclimatisation, and while the trek to Barafu camp is relatively steep, we will reach camp around midday, leaving plenty of time to relax. After lunch, our guide will offer us the opportunity to hike a little further for acclimatisation purposes (weather permitting), or you may prefer to rest at camp. Dinner will be served as usual before we head back to our tents for some much-needed rest. At 11pm we will be woken with a warm drink and biscuits, and prepare for our midnight summit attempt. Overnight: Camping Barafu Camp – Midnight Summit Attempt (B, L, D)
Day 8 – Millennium or Mweka Camp – Hiking Time Approx. 11 – 13 hrs
Today is the day you have been dreaming about! After our midnight departure from Barafu and 6-7 hours hiking, we will reach the welcoming green sign of Stella Point. As the sun starts to rise, we will be exposed to the sheer beauty of Mount Kilimanjaro, and despite being exhausted and cold, we have just another 40 minutes to go along a relatively flat path to reach our final destination – Uhuru Peak.
What goes up must come down, and after taking those cherished photos from the Roof of Africa, we will begin our descent back to Barafu Camp for a well-deserved warm lunch. Our guide will then decide whether we will trek down to Millennium or Mweka Camp for our final evening on the mountain. Overnight: Camping Millennium or Mweka Camp (B, L, D)
Day 9 – Arusha – Hiking Time Approx. 3-5 hrs
After our last mountainside breakfast, we will begin our final ascent to Mweka Gate. Returning through the lush rainforests at the base of Kilimanjaro, we will meet our logistics team for one final lunch together before saying our goodbyes and heading back to our hotel for a much-needed shower! Overnight: Arusha (B, L, D)
Day 10 – Departure
After a celebratory breakfast, we will catch our return transfer to the airport for our international flight home.Those extending their stay with a Serengeti / Ngorongoro Safari or Zanzibar Beach break will transfer accordingly.
Pricing & Information
Your Fully Inclusive Equatours Kilimanjaro Expedition Includes:
- Return International Flights
- 2-nights hotel accommodation in Arusha on a Half-Board Basis (1 night before climb, 1 night after)
- All Airport Transfers in Tanzania
- Transfers to/from Kilimanjaro National Park
- All climbing permits and National Park Entry Fees
- All camping equipment (except sleeping bags for hygiene reasons)
- A complete team of certified Mountain Guides, Cooks and Porters
- All meals, drinks and snacks on the mountain
- Mountain Rescue / Flying Doctors Medical Evacuation
- Safety Equipment such as hyperbaric chamber / oxygen bottles
- Portage of two bags (max weight 15 kilos) per person
- Luggage storage in Arusha
- Meal Plan: B = Breakfast / L = Lunch / P = Picnic / D = Dinner
Not included in the cost of your climb:
- Obligatory Travel / Medical Insurance. Your insurance should cover you for trekking up to 6,000metres – without ropes/crampons. Emergency mountain rescue / flying doctors is included in your climb, but your own medical insurance must cover all medical, transport, accommodation and repatriation costs once you reach the base of the mountain.
- Evacuation transport and hotel accommodation is not included for non-emergency reasons (i.e. should you decide you do not wish to continue with the climb)
- Tips for Guides and Porters – Please see guideline for tipping in our Kilimanjaro Essential Information File
- Excess / Oversized / Overweight Baggage Fees
- Clothing and equipment for the climb except Tents, mats and eating utensils, which the crew provides
- Beverages and Meals not specified as included in the itinerary above
- Personal items such as, but not limited to, telephone and internet charges, laundry, optional excursions and activities, medical expenses, and anything else not listed as included above
Price per Person based on 2-Adults sharing a double/twin Room/tent: £2250.00 / Single Supplement: £115.00
Including flights departing from UK or Mainland Europe, please contact us for prices from the USA or other International airports.
Interested? Get in touch and reserve your spot now, limited places available!